Museum of Montmartre
The history of Montmartre
The permanent collection is composed of paintings, posters and drawings signed by Toulouse-Lautrec, Modigliani, Kupka, Steinlen, Valadon, and Utrillo. Together, the artworks recount the history of Montmartre, including the innovative studios at Bateau-Lavoir and 12 rue Cortot and the infamous animated cabarets of the Lapin Agile and the Moulin Rouge. The Museum includes an entire room dedicated to the French Cancan, while another features rare zinc plates of dreamlike scenes from shadow theatre such as Le Chat Noir, the first modern cabaret founded by Rodolphe Salis in 1881.
The collection was made possible by the History and Archeology Society “Le Vieux Montmartre”, which itself dates back to 1886.
Bel Air House
The Museum of Montmartre was founded in 1960. It was built in the seventeenth century as the Bel Air House and is the oldest building in Montmartre.
During its heyday, 12 rue Cortot served as a residence and meeting place for many artists including Auguste Renoir, Suzanne Valadon and Émile Bernard, who held their studios here, as well as the fauve artists Emile Othon Friesz and Raoul Dufy.
Plunge into the Montmartre of the 19th and 20th century
Relive Montmartre's celebrated history through the eyes of Suzanne Valadon during this immersive media show. You will rediscover the atmosphere that dominated the winding streets of the Butte and the famous names that roamed them.
Valadon's humble origins, artistic training, contacts and success make her the perfect guide to introduce the visit and recount the history of Montmartre: she is an allegory of the butte during its effervescence.
The Demarne Hotel will be open to the public for the first time on October 17th, 2014. This historic landmark was once the home to Claude de la Rose, the actor from Molière’s troupe whose stage name was Rosimond. It was also within these walls that Père Tanguy, art dealer for several Impressionist painters, lived.
The Demarne Hotel has been completely redesigned to accommodate exhibitions of the highest caliber. The exhibition “The Spirit of Montmartre and the Modern Art (1875 - 1910)” (October 17th, 2014 - September 15th, 2015) will inaugurate the new space.
History of the Museum
The Musée de Montmartre is located in old houses on the Butte (hill of Montmartre). These residences, surrounded by gardens, housed the workshops and ateliers of numerous artists such as Auguste Renoir, Émile Bernard, Raoul Dufy, Charles Camoin, Suzanne Valadon and Maurice Utrillo. The writers Pierre Reverdy and Léon Bloy also resided here, as well as the sculptor Demetrius Galanis. It is here that Julien François Tanguy, otherwise known as Père Tanguy, one of the first collectors of impressionist paintings practiced his trade as an art supplies dealer
The Kléber-Rossillon Company
In July 2011, the Kléber-Rossillon Company took over the management of the Museum of Montmartre. It launched an ambitious program to expand and restore the site. The project will double the exhibition space, renovate the studio-apartment of the artists Suzanne Valadon and Maurice Utrillo, and remodel the three gardens that inspired Renoir’s paintings on the same subject.